Friday, January 25, 2008

Meet the 2008 Mozambique Team!!

This highly imaganitive, creative, and full-of-fun team is headed to Mozambique to participate in an innovate program launched by Habitat for Humanity in Mozambique to meet the challenge of housing for the increasing number of orphans and vulnerable children there.
Enjoy "meeting" each other!

Before starting out with the members of the team that will be coming from the US, let's meet our partners in Mozambique. First is Magaia - he has been helping the team leaders coordinate this trip from the very beginning and making many preparations for the team in-country. Here's Magaia's profile: HFH Mozambique Church Relations and Volunteer Coordinator, Elifal Moeses Magaia, was born in 1978 in Maputo. Magaia has been the volunteer coordinator for HFH-MZ since May 2007. Magaia is well suited to this role as he speaks Portuguese, English, and Shangana, and enjoys the challenges that hosting teams from all over the world presents. He is currently attending law school, now in his 4th year, and has previously worked as a travel consultant with LAM (Mozambican Airlines), and a volunteer health trainer for the Peace Corps. He comes from a Christian background, his father being a Bishop at the Mozambican National Church ‘The Good Shepherd.’ This has led to an interest in singing, especially gospel music in church as well as jazz, afro-jazz and hip-hop. Magaia also enjoys reading the Bible, having attended Bible School for 3 years and is also a qualified Sunday School teacher. Another of Magaia’s passions is watching football, supporting Manchester United for some reason! He has a daughter, Kaizia, who is 3yrs old and with whom he adores spending time with.



Another partner is Mark Estes, Country Director for Mozambique. Having worked with Mark in Asia Pacific for a couple of years, Bob and Leslie are confident that Mozambique's program has top-notch leadership, and are looking forward to seeing him again and meeting Marcia. Maybe even seeing Mark in his new role as Dad! Or, if the timing is a little off, maybe the Labor and Delivery nurse on our team will get to do more than build houses! Here's more info on Mark: A native of the USA’s Southeast region, Mark left his business career in 1997 to apply his skills and experiences to the work of HFHI in Asia Pacific, where he served in a variety of roles from the Pacific Islands to Central and South Asia and South East Asia. Mark received his BS degree in 1986 and in July 2007 completed a 3 year MA in Organizational Leadership with a focus on International Organizational Development through Eastern University’s Pathway’s to Leadership course. Mark’s overarching work with HFH organizations as been to broaden visions and strengthen HFH national programs to grow exponentially as part of HFHI’s global strategies and vision to see “” A World Where Everyone has a Decent Place to Live”. Mark is married to Marcia Regina Isola, from Brazil, who relocated to Vietnam in 2007 as Mark completed 10 years of work in Asia with HFHI. They relocated to Mozambique in October 2007. Mark and Marcia are expecting their first child on 24 June 2008. Mark enjoys travel, scuba diving, trekking, softball, photography, reading and contemporary jazz and classical music. Mark is passionate about connecting people from around the globe to the mission of Habitat for Humanity International as part of his spiritual journey of serving others.

Leslie's note: sorry about the sizing of Magaia and Mark's pictures - it was the best I could do with what I had! But you can click on their pictures, as well as any others, and make them larger. Here's the rest of our team:


Hi Everyone! My name is Margot Adelle Orr. I work as an architect and urban designer doing work all over the UK, Europe and Asia. Currently I am working on a project where we are transforming the industrial waterfront of Edinburgh, Scotland into a fun destination with a marina, shops, waterfront boardwalk, cafes, restaurants, and more.
I went to graduate school in St. Louis, MO and undergrad in St. Paul, MN – in combination with being from Wisconsin – I would say I know the Midwest well! However, through graduate school, I lived in Buenos Aires and Helsinki for 6 months each. There is so much to learn from travel! I have been lucky enough to keep up with my adventuring after graduation and took most of my holiday in China last year. The picture is of me on a terrace in Shanghai overlooking the famous TV tower.
My favorite thing to do is to try new things. With that in mind, I am extremely excited about our trip to Mozambique! I think this will be a chance to immerse ourselves in another culture in a way that is difficult to do as a tourist. I can’t wait to try any and all of the cultural experiences that we will have the occasion to participate in. I am very appreciative of this opportunity and look forward to meeting everyone!


Hi fellow travelers! I am Holly Grubb. I'm a computer consultant. My job takes me all over the U.S. but I call Ohio home. Currently I am working a contract in Chicago.
I love to travel, see the world, experience new cultures and meet new people. I also like hooking up with dear friends (Bob and Leslie) and doing all of the above.
Since I work at a desk all day, the physical activity of building homes is very therapeutic. When not on a GV trip, reading is my stress relief. I am a Habitat junkie. I have been going on GV teams since 1998. (the pix is of me in Ethiopia with my new little friend, Afretta). I just can't seem to get enough! I am really looking forward to this new adventure in Mozambique and meeting all my new friends!


Kat Williams - I quit my corporate job four years ago and have found myself living in constant gratitude that I can continue to live both simply and extravagantly by traveling and seeing the world! Working with HFH is one of the best ways to realize my two of my passions: learning about other cultures and providing affordable housing to those who need it.
I've participated both domestically and internationally with Habitat for Humanity, most recently leading a trip to Pondicherry, India last August. I've been included on GV builds on the Cheyenne River Reservation in Eagle Butte, South Dakota, Lampang, Thailand, Taos New Mexico and for disaster relief efforts at Camp Hope in New Orleans. I am thrilled to be traveling to Africa with such an extraordinary and enthusiastic group of people. I look forward to sharing this incredible adventure with you!


Hello New Friends. My name is Diana Ambrose and I will be arriving to Mozambique from St. Augustine Florida. I have been living in Fl for over 10 years now. I work as a Guidance Counselor in an elementary school and love my job. I am so looking forward to participating in something that directly benefits children in Mozambique! I am a passionate, loving, enthusiastic person! I was born and raised in Michigan and have had the fortune to travel to many wonderful places around our beautiful planet. I love outdoor recreation, reading, gardening, and remodling my house. I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Jamaica and am looking forward to being exposed to another new culture and way of life in Mozambique.

I'm Judy Bell and I'll be joining my "little" brother, Bob, and Leslie, my favorite sister-in-law, on our upcoming trip to Mozambique. This Habitat experience will be an important family milestone for me as well as a great opportunity to share the kind of volunteering that Bob and Leslie have been raving about for years. I spent 25 years working as a busy physician in Northern California. However in 2001 my husband, Terry, and I decided we'd had enough of beautiful weather and crowded freeways and decided to relocate to a friendly small town in North Idaho. I continued some part-time doctoring until 2 years ago when I took down my shingle completely. Now I hike and bike and spend as much grandparent time as I can with our daughter's family in South Carolina. We divide our time mowing and watering and plowing our bit of property and enjoying gorgeous mountain views and an occasional moose or two. I've been talking for years about joining a Habitat Build and now I finally have the time to make that happen. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Barbara Pressler - My background is a B.S. in commercial art and a minor in photography. I studied classical piano growing up and have a great appreciation of all kinds of music. My art background evolved into designing gardens and landscapes . I love to play in the dirt and watch a beautiful landscape grow from nothing. Its a beautiful thing..I live in Sandpoint,Idaho, up in the panhandle around a breathtaking 40 mile lake that beckons me to embrace nature and all its Godliness . My job creates the means to travel and meet indigenous peoples all over. I've spent extended trips to India ,Kashmir,Australia, NZ. PNG.MEX. I have 2 children and 5 grandchildren.I'm 69 yrs. young with an insatiable appetite for adventure. I also love to see the happiness in a person's eyes by doing something for them. As you can see I love to be happy and bring happiness. I look forward to you all.

Bob - I have been a tool dresser, potato planter, log peeler, dog musher, glacier guide, school principal/teacher, Habitat trainer, and dad. I'm known for telling stories, which I'm not really sure is accurate. I like to spend my free time watching animals, especially in Alaska. And I love to be in the outdoors. This picture is of my youngest son and I on our recent trek into the base camp of Everest. When I grow up, I want to be content with what I've done in my life. My birthday is on the same day each year, usually in the middle of the second run of sockeye salmon going up the Kenai River.

Leslie - I have been an Alaska Court clerk, director of youth camps, built my own log cabin, taught 8th grade, built/remodeled/demolished a few houses, served as full-time volunteer for HFHI as a Global Village trainer in Asia Pacific, and as a team leader. My most full-filling, ever-changing job has been, and still is, that of a mom. I enjoy spending my time with Bob in most of the things he does, especially in Alaska and leading Habitat teams around the world. I always look forward to meeting new people on teams, and experiencing different cultures with them. I can be easily bribed with ice cream and can eat more of it than anyone, our three sons excluded (they learned from the best).

Hey Ya’ll! My name is Lindsey McCormick and I’m twenty years old. I grew up in Charlotte, North Carolina. This fall, I will be a junior at Florida State University, where I am majoring in secondary math education. I am a very outgoing person and I am always up for anything. I am very close with my family, as well as my friends from home and college. I love being outside and enjoying the sunshine. I cannot wait to finally get to Mozambique. I am involved with lots of community service through my major, my sorority (Alpha Chi Omega), as well as FSU, and I am so excited to have another opportunity to help others. I hope to make a difference in the lives of the orphans while I make new friends and explore the world. Can’t wait to finally meet everyone! :)


Howdy everyone! i’m nancy , 61 years on the planet, that I can recall.
my number one calling is definitely mom---to 2 sons, kippy(italy) and aaron (california). 3 acquired kids---peg(denver) penny(reno) and jim(denver). also have 5 exchange kids—magnus (sweden—who, with his family donated a whole orphan house!), ba
rbara (italy), virginie (france), luca (italy) and ania(greenland). also am Mom-2 to leslie and bob’s kids matt(hawaii), lars and anders(both oregon). that adds up to a baker’s dozen. 6 children-in-law, 16 grandchildren, 4 greatgranchildren. you can imagine my travel needs. it is my mission to feed and hug kids everywhere.
my second number one calling is wife. bobby and i have been married 27 years and i’ve loved the adventure and the man. first husband didn’t work out so well.
i love nursing, my job of 39 years. i have all kinds of experience but lots of years in labor and delivery. let me tell you a few stories.
i have a psychiatrist named bernina, my sewing machine, who counsels with me often. i am very “outdoors”; the colorado mountains are my present play ground. singing is my companion. i’ve never had nice nails. i talk way too much. i cry often and for all reasons. i write constantly. i do not believe in map boundaries, eating sweet potatoes, shoulds, oughts, inhibitions. i believe in hugging often, god, sleeping under stars, friends and family, work as beauty, life as a gift. my only fear of our upcoming trip is that i will not be able to leave.
i have a special talent---possum kissing. can’t wait to give you one. xoxoxox nan





Bobby Cole - I'm a shaman and a preacher, a prophet and a schemer, an artist and a poet,a teacher and a writer, a rambler and a story teller. I can build a wicked house and can find you in the wilderness if you lose your way. I am a good somato-therapist, a better dream weaver and a pretty fair friend. I used to be a lot of other things but, now I'm just an old fart.


Hello team - I am Chris Kelley, I live in Scarborough Maine, and I have been a mechanic working on tanks, commercial fishing boats, and heavy equipment. I’ve worked for a John Deere dealer as a marine engine salesman, customer service rep and sales rep. for Morbark.
I’ve been working at a friend’s rental store for the last five years. This year I am part time (on call). I am volunteering most of my time between friends and family and trying to catch up with long overdue chores at my place. I don’t know where I ever found time to work.
I like to spend time outdoors exploring new places, I’ve been on HFHGV trips to New Zealand 99, Alaska 99, Thailand 02, and Alaska 07. Bob and Leslie got me hooked on Alaska - there is so much to explore there that I know Ill go back for more adventures. Right now I am looking forward to meeting all of you in Mozambique. I’m sure it will be quite an adventure. Do they have ice cream in Mozambique? I can eat as much as Bob an
d Leslie’s sons can!

Hello all! My name is Jessica Burns. I am from Boulder Colorado whereI was born, raised, and continue to live…I guess I quite like it here! The outdoors and nature are huge for me, which is probably what has kept me in Colorado for so long! Anything from hiking, to rock climbing, kayaking, cycling, snowboarding – you name it, I either like it, or am without a doubt willing to give it a shot! (This however,does not include wind surfing, which I am destined to fail at despite repeated attempts.) Aside from athletics and nature, the rest goes to working with animals – my own and through work. I have spent the last 6 years working at a 24 hr emergency animal hospital and doing pet services on the side. I also have an amazing 5yr old husky that I rescued about three years ago. Despite her neurotic tendencies that seem to plague our daily interactions with one another, she is my best friend and she will be deeply missed while in Africa! An exciting recent progression in my life at the moment will be obtaining my degree in Zoology on the 12th of May of this year from CSU. After getting home from Africa, I plan on getting EMT certified and then applying to medical school, not vet…medical. 6 years at vets office has further instilled my love for animals, but also shown me that I would prefer a career in working with people…which is what ultimately brought me to HFHI. My goal, in whatever career path I choose, is to do work in poverty stricken areas where help is needed most. While I have done a fair bit of traveling – study abroad in Brisbane,Australia, family centered in New Zealand (where I visit to every couple of years), first generation in this country on my mom's side from S. Africa, I have not experienced the true nature of the world's state first hand. I am ready to have my comfort zone completely redefined! Africa is of particular appeal given my family heritage there and the tease that I have been to S. Africa more than any other country but only as a small child, and so with those trips left not a single memory! That is not saying anything of the wildlife, which,being zoology trained, will be amazing to experience first hand! I can't wait to begin my journey, start building, meet new people, and let this be the first of many trips of this nature.



Hello Team! I'm Lauren Gioia and I live in New York City I grew up in Buffalo, New York and I'm excited to be joining the trip to Mozambique with Sarah, a great friend that I have known since kindergarten! I work at Sotheby's auction house and I'm fascinated by history and different cultures. I've been lucky enough to see many parts of the world and I've volunteered with Habitat in NYC and also as part of a Global Village trip to Honduras in 2005. I love to be outside, see new places and meet new people. I can't wait to up to meet everyone in Mozambique – see you in a little over a month!!! (editor's note: to see her when she's not so bundled, see next picture!)



Hello all! I'm Sarah. I live in New York City, but originally from Buffalo, NY. I am a third grade teacher at an all boys school here in the city. I have been teaching for ten years and am about to take a break from education for a year before I begin graduate school in the fall of '09. I am looking forward to a year of new experiences and a chance to explore some interests outside of the educational world. I think that this trip will be a terrific way to kick things off. My dear friend Lauren loved her Global Village trip to Honduras a couple of years ago and I am so excited to see what it is all about. I can't wait to meet all of you and also meet members of the community in Mozambique.

Hello team. I'm Sean Murphy. I spent the first 19 years of my life in New Jersey, but have been living, working, and most importantly fishing on the Southwest coast of Florida for the past 8 months. I will be attending University of colorado next fall, with no clue in my area of studies. Flying to other parts of the world has been a passion of mine since my first overseas trip to Ireland. Only to be amplified by my time in China and Tibet, and throughout my last unbelievable trip to India where I spent two weeks building with HFH and the amazing Kat Williams, who is joining all of us in Mozambique. I truly cannot wait for the upcoming chance to meet all of you, live and work with native Mozambicans, pretend I am Steve Irwin at Kruger, and the numerous other experiences exclusive to building with Habitat. So, until we meet, safe travels, best wishes and enjoy the times.

No comments: